Monday, February 18, 2008

A (Fairly) Clean Prizren

I was wrong. There are no voluminous piles of beer trash. In fact, Shadervan (the main square area) is quite clean. More so than usual. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't random detritus, but there's not much.
For all the balloons that businesses had strung up, I saw only one on the ground.


At Te Syla, one of my favorite grilled-meats restaurants, they were washing the windows.


I'm not sure if this buidling was wrecked yesterday, but I don't remember this particular storefront having been previously destroyed.


If I'm not mistaken, this piece of trash is the flag that Rugova had introduced for Kosovo back in 2000.


Once I left the main square area, there were a few gatherings of trashbags.


There was some beer trash but not much.


This is the new flag of Kosovo. The man I spoke with this morning told me that each of the six stars represents the republics of Yugoslavia. I swear, this is the only new flag in all of Prizren.


A close-up shot of the flag. I wonder if the new flag will be oriented this way or in landscape...


A mishtore (butcher) near my neighborhood. I'm rather grossed out by the balloons tucked between the carcasses.

This news story from the Turkish Daily News is interesting because the article concerns Prizren's ethnic Turks.

Balkan nation divided at birth

So often, the focus of Kosovo's ethnic issues centers on the Albanians and the Serbs. However, in Prizren, there is a sizable Turkish population and I hear Turkish spoken just as often as Albanian.

No comments: