Thursday, January 12, 2006

Long time no blog (I know, I've heard about it)

License plate from Tasmania


I’ve barely been back in Japan a week and already the warm fuzzy memories of Australia are being crowded into the back of my mind by the day-to-day frenetic pitch of the last days of the school year.

Tasmanian hiking track.


But I will waste no time beating around the bush: Australia was bloody great. I stayed a few days with friends who live outside of Sydney. We went to the beach five times in three days. For Christmas we ate turkey done up on the barbeque. I picked up a few bruises from being pulled behind a boat on an inner tube. I relaxed. Then the day I was to head down to Tasmania I got sick with some gastro-intestinal ill that had been going around the family. I went anyway and had even more fun (luckily my stomach problems lasted only the one day). I hiked. I ate. I saw the Southern Cross and wallabies. Perhaps best of all, I had the distinct pleasure of having another view of Orion, one which turned the constellation from hunter to Miss America contestant (when seen from an ‘upside down’ angle, the belt turns into a sash). My last day in Oz was spent walking around Sydney, soaking up as much English as I could before I headed back to Japan. Eleven days was not enough. I very definitely want to return.

This is a wallaby (a smaller, gentler version of a kangaroo).

Not one to sit around and mope, though, I’ve managed to fit in an afternoon of sumo and a few trips to the sushi bar into my schedule since I’ve been back. Already I’m looking forward to my next trip, which is back to the states in early February.

2 comments:

Irene said...

I'm sure 11 days are not enough for Australia, it must be an extraordinary and diverse country!
I had been wanting to go there since I was a child but it's still on my list. In the meantime I enjoy reading every bit about it :)
I really did think that the wallaby on the picture was a kangaroo (nice one!)

Irene said...

p.s.I forgot to click on email follow-up comments.