Sunday, February 17, 2008

Per Kosoven (For Kosovo)

It's not 3pm yet (the anticipated time of the succession), but there's a lot going on. I walked up to the castle late this morning and was greeted by a handful of KFOR soldiers. I wanted to take some photos while I was up there, but I am easily intimidated by the military. I took just one picture. The castle was built in a very strategic place and there's a great view of Prizren, which is why KFOR is up there today.


Today is absolutely freezing, and it's windy. Everyone is all bundled up. Bundled up and giddy. Most shops are closed. A few cafes and news kiosks are open, but most of the town is padlocked shut. Police are keeping people off the main road that circles town. Both the police and KFOR are very visible. I've seen several impromptu parades of men waving Albanian and American flags, singing, and cheering. The tv station I've got on is running a countdown to 3 o'clock in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Kosovo's time has come.


A huge banner on a local business celebrating independence

This sign says something to the effect of "For Kosovo, please celebrate with dignity."

No comments: