Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Next Conflict

Kosovo is all over the news.

Some articles:

Independence Jitters Grip Kosovo
NATO nations pledge tough Kosovo force
Gen. Sir Mike Jackson warns on Kosovo
Countdown to Kosovan independence

The news is all so conflict-minded and reading it makes me feel jittery, too. However, last night when I walked home around 11pm, things felt normal. People were out walking around. Children were lighting firecrackers off in front of a mosque (a most annoying common happening). Cafes were full. I didn't see any troops milling around, but I was walking through the back streets and I don't often run into KFOR off the main road. To read the news, though, I'm left with the impression that Kosovo is catapulting towards becoming the nexus for the next Balkan conflict. I certainly hope this doesn't prove to be the case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firecrackers!

Don't they know they should be using AK's.

paul