Thursday, June 14, 2007

Alta Toquima Wilderness

I love Nevada.

The more I explore, the more incredulous I am that more folk haven't discovered it (although, to be fair, with such a low state population and with such great recreational opportunities flanking either side of the state in California and Utah where there are bigger populations, it really isn't that surprising). This afternoon will find Ken and I driving east towards the Alta Toquima range in central Nevada (just east of Austin with Big Smoky Valley to the west and Monitor Valley on the east).

I just realized that the quickest way to get there would take us through hot spring country. I knew we'd stop on the way back to Reno, but I'm thinking I might be able to convince Ken to stop for a quick soak before we find a place to spend the night tonight. Hmmm...this trip is suddenly looking really good!

We haven't decided yet if we're going to backpack a loop, or if we'll just hike in tomorrow, drop the packs, go up Mt. Jefferson (at 11,900 it is the highest peak in central Nevada), explore the area on foot, spend the night, and hike back out on Saturday. That's not so important to me, though. I am simply looking forward to getting out of Reno and spending a night in the 4runner and a night in the tent. And probably not seeing a soul.

I love Nevada.

No comments: