Thursday, December 28, 2006

$187.69 (including tip)

Unfortunately, it was too dark at Sezmu for photographs and my flash just washed everything out. However, our menu:

S's appetizer: seared scallops with mushrooms & a parsley puree.
Her entree: pork chop with some kind of steamed greens.

My appetizer: tuna spring roll with mango and shiso leaf.
My entree: sea bass with sweet potato gnocchi, snap peas, and pesto.

Dessert: creme brulee with eggnog and ginger snaps & chocolate cake and ice cream (I've forgotten all kinds of adjectives used to front the nouns of our eatings, but that's just my way of removing an unneccesary cognitive load).

To drink we had a bottle of pinot noir (a 2006 California vintage that S selected) and coffee with dessert.

The verdict: delish. S proclaimed it was the best meal she had eaten all year. And she is right: It was really bloody good. My only gripe is that the tuna spring roll I ordered contained shiso leaf. A Japanese person would explain shiso leaf as Japanese basil. I think of it more as a large leafy herb that tastes like soap. I have a strong dislike for shiso and had to pick it out of the roll. In fact, if the menu had listed shiso leaf as one of the ingredients, I would not have ordered it. (I'm also a hard sell on creme brulee because I have yet to have any that tops Turi's. And Sezmu's did not...but the eggnog was a nice touch.)

The timing of the meal was impeccable (except that the bill came as soon as our desserts were delivered). Our meal lasted about two hours. When we arrived there were two other couples seated at tables and a couple at the bar. When we left, all of the tables were full except a table for four by the door. We were sat by the window so it is highly possible I am overlooking a few minor dining transgressions (window seats are my favorite).

For me, though, the food took a back seat to dining with S. I miss her. Having friends like her is an indescribable wealth.

No comments: