Sunday, April 07, 2013

Adjika, Adjika, Adjika!




Back in February, I was having a grocery shopping marathon at the Carrefour in Tbilisi when I saw the package of rice paper wrappers. I'm not sure why I grabbed them. I'd never used the wrappers before and, to tell the truth, I wasn't even sure what to do with them. But they found their way with me back to Kutaisi and, two months later, I was ready to give them a try.

I was trying to figure out what to eat for lunch today and couldn't get very excited about eating leftover pumpkin and lentils. Then it dawned on me: What about pumpkin and lentils wrapped up like a spring roll? Why not? And so that's what I did. As a bonus, I had received a gift of a bottle of adjika yesterday (packaged up in a water bottle, more on adjika below) and I thought that would make a superb dipping sauce. And it did. And lunch was good and very quick and easy and much more exciting than a simple bowl of lentils and pumpkin.

I will be using rice paper wrappers again.

More about the deliciousness that is adjika....



(However, if I had to choose between adjika and the ajvar made by my Kosovar landlady, the ajvar would win.)

2 comments:

Turi Becker said...

Sauce of Glory is the coolest thing I've heard today. Makes me want to start a band, just so iI can name it that.

Sonya said...

Can you bring any of that home? Or get a recipe? Sounds amazing!