Sunday, December 16, 2007

K's Faves

I'm no Oprah Winfrey. But that doesn't mean I can't have a few favorite things of my own:

1. Four-flower bread. There are two types of sliced bread available at Abi (one of my local supermarkets), the four-flower and a sunflower bread. I haven't tried the sunflower because I'm so in love with the four-flower. It gives American brown breads a good run for their money, in my opinion.







2. Japanese green tea. The kind of green tea that is green, not brown. This particular type has matcha in it (green tea powder) and I absolutely love it. I drink it sparingly because I don't have much left and the only place I've found it is Japan.










3. Leblebi. Roasted chickpeas you can just pop in your mouth. A small market closer to me sells a mix of leblebi and raisins that I particularly like.






4. Homemade applesauce and Mash's Roasted Banana Bread. The combo of pre-baked bananas and wheat bran make this my favorite quick bread to date. Plus, it's easy to make and incorporates ingredients I have on-hand. (I ended up giving my landlady some of my personal stash of wheat bran, but I don't think she's tried out the recipe yet.)





5. Treats from my landlady. Today she brought by rice with spinach and a cooked egg.








6. NPR. I'm so glad I discovered that I have a selection of satellite radio. I rarely listen to anything else.





7. Hot water. When that little hand hits 3 o'clock, the tank is full of nice, hot, usable water.





8. My new propane cooker. When the power is out, this puppy will boil a large pot of water in about 10 minutes. I mostly mind the power outtages when they get in the way of me having a hot cup of tea or coffee in the morning.





9. The best boots ever. I bought these Uggs before I came to Kosovo and I am glad I did. My feet and calves stay nice and warm.



10. A keychain LED light. My mom gave me this so I had something just in case the power went out. I've used it so much I need to replace the battery in it already.



11. Power. I can live a while without the juice, but it sure is nice when I have it.

No comments: