Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Little Things

Half-way through the second week of classes at the university, I finally feel like I'm starting to hit my stride. The students are keen; I brought good materials with me from which to create what I think will be a good curriculum for my classes; and I finally feel like I can do what I came here to do. My highschool students are similarly great and I have a string of teacher training workshops planned. My apartment is slowly becoming 'Kirsten-ized' and I am feeling settled.

Usually when I come home, I turn on the computer and switch the tv to CNN (or MTV Deutschland). However, today I decided to fiddle with the box on top of the tv. And, boy, am I glad I did that. Not only am I connected to cable tv, but I have satellite tv as well. I even get Al Jazeera (in Arabic). There aren't any English channels, though. I was a bit bummed, but it's not like I need to sit around watching tv. Then I realized that I get radio, too. Not only do I get a bazillion radio stations, but there is one NPR station. That's all I need. One NPR station (this one broadcasts from Berlin).

I can't believe it took me a whole month before investigating my tv options, but I am sure glad I did it today, a rainy, rainy day. I find that no matter where I am, it's the little things that can really turn a ho-hum experience into something I can really enjoy. And now that I have an NPR station (which has Morning Edition on now...I can only hope I happen upon This American Life which has been difficult for me to download) I can more fully enjoy my new home.

No comments: