Saturday, September 15, 2007

Morning Walk

This morning when I woke up around 7:30, the power was out. Unable to make tea, I dressed and decided to head up to the ruins on the hill. A few days ago, I had coffee with the man who organizes my high school class and he showed me 'the long' way to get up to the top. It took about an hour, and I was surprised that it did take that long. The path wound up a valley and took its time getting to the ruins. I came down a much quicker way, but I didn't end up walking by one of the bombed churches I wanted to see. Perhaps I'll try to walk up that way later.




A view of the ruins with Prizren off to the left. The building in the immediate foreground isn't part of the ruins. I'm not sure what it is. There's nothing organized about the site. You can walk around freely, being careful not to slip or fall off the walls.



This is the view of Prizren from the ruins. Most of the roofs are red tiles. In fact, I've seen very few tin roofs and nothing shingled.




In the center of this shot is the mosque I live near. My apartment would be to the right. And, yes, I was woken at 5am this morning. I wonder what happens if the power is out at that time. I bet they have a generator.



A cemented-in cannon up at the ruins overlooking the town.




As for the flora, I think these are some kind of pods with bugs inside. I didn't want to bust one open to see.


I think this is the first honest-to-goodness, real live snail I've ever seen. In one Frog and Toad story, Frog writes Toad a letter (or does Toad write to Frog?) and the delivery man is a snail. That's my experience with snails.



No comments: