Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feed the Mash

My landlady keeps bringing me food. Although I must say, today that totally saved me. I was down at the American Corner (one of the places where I teach) for about 5 hours. Because it's Ramadan, I didn't want to eat anything in front of anybody (I felt it would have been rude). By the time I arrived back home around 4:30 I was starving. Completely starving. As I was unlocking my front door and thinking about what I would eat, I noticed a lidded pot on my steps.

With great anticipation and hope I peeked inside and to my stomach's delight, my landlady had left me a generous helping of beans and meat. I ran with it straight to my stove, heated it up, and enjoyed every last bite of it.

A little while later she stopped by with a pitaika for me (I'm not completely sure of the spelling). It's a special bread made during Ramadan. In the center there is egg with cheese. Yesterday, the baker's wife very explicitly told me that it's not like pizza. But it's like pizza.




It rained a bit yesterday. Actually, there was thunder, lightning, and buckets of rain. Afterwards, I went out into the garden to take a few photos.



No comments: