Saturday, August 11, 2007

Martha Stewart K

So...several months ago (February, I think) I bought a Martha Stewart DVD for $2.99 at a discount grocery outlet. In a fit of boredom, I finally sat down to watch it this afternoon and Ken walked in the door just as the segment on the Black Bean Burger was playing.

"Mmm-mmm...that sounds good," said he.
"Fine. Go to the store," said me.

And here we are. Of course, I haven't followed the recipe. In fact, I was only moderately paying attention to the segment (Skeena does need her belly rubbed)....but I think the burgers are going to turn out nicely.

My recipe:

a can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
a small can of green chiles
1/2 a large purple onion
a red pepper (which we didn't end up using because it was rotten)
a few shakes of a Moroccan spice mixture my mom gave me (if I didn't have this I'd have used cumin, tumeric, coriander, and whatever else struck my fancy)
2 C cooked brown rice
about 4 inches of grated frozen bread (our attempt at bread crumbs)

The steps:

1. dice and sautee purple onion until soft (oh, I also added garlic to the pan), then add spices and cook for 30-60 seconds
2. put onion into large bowl and mix with beans and can of chiles.
3. put mixture into food processor and pulse 5-10 times.
4. put mixture back into bowl and add rice and bread crumbs.
5. make into patties (I got four) and place on cookie sheet (I would have added an egg to bind the mixture a bit more, but we don't have any).
6. bake for 15 minutes at 350.

I'm still waiting for the oven to preheat, but I'll report back on how it all turns out. Heh.

No comments: