Thursday, February 16, 2006

For Luke & Caleb


The only house I saw with a flag.

I walked around the neighborhood earlier in the week looking for blatant displays of patriotism....flags proudly displayed on the porches of patriots, "We Support the Troops" stickers on vehicles, those sorts of things. I found fewer samples than I thought that I would. However, after describing to Ken how weird non-Americans think the whole hanging-the-flag-outside-the-house thing is, he reminded me that such showcases of patriotism are more likely from the pro-Bush neo-conservatives. I hadn't given it much thought, but I'm inclined to agree. I guess there aren't too many of this sort in our neighborhood although, to be fair, it's cold out and maybe it isn't proper protocol to hang the flag outside the house when the evening temps fall below freezing.

Vinyl stickers surely last longer than polyester flags

A graffitied mail box screams "I love my country!"

As does the photo below of a car missing its license plate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Masher,

I know that is your house! Great to read that you are enjoying the break. I am sweltering in thailand...see you in a few weeks for some more office madness and mayhem.